Shape had the pleasure of attending The Content Experience, hosted by Uberflip, August 22-23, 2017 in Toronto, Ontario. Over 15 keynote speakers provided expert insight on how phenomenal experiences can enhance each step of the customer journey.
Content benefits from amplification - both paid and organic. PPC campaigns can be inspired and optimized by the stories within content to improve engagement and conversion rates. Try combining some of the following PPC tips from some of our favorite speakers with your content marketing efforts to capitalize on your strategy while improving connection and relevancy at every stage.
Challenge Your Content Marketing Assumptions (and Get a Free Puppy!): An Intervention
Ann Handley | Chief Content Officer at MarketingProfs
“Now is the time to challenge what we think we know about our marketing, with an eye toward challenging ourselves to do better. In this highly engaging talk (and politics-free, don’t worry!), the Queen of Content Ann Handley uncovers the three specific places where most companies are relying on fake facts and hunches instead of data, research, and honest empathy. She’ll challenge you to rethink your content and your marketing to make it truly drive business for your company. Oh and also... PUPPIES!” - Conex17 Talk Description
1. Challenge your narrative. Mine qualitative and quantitative company data to discover untold stories that inform and optimize your content and campaigns.
Super Advanced Content Marketing: How to Publish More and Rank Higher Through The Magic of Repurposing
Andy Crestodina | Co-founder at Orbit Media
“You’ve been at this content thing for a while and you’re busier than ever. But your traffic is stuck at the same levels. You’re working more for the same results you got last year. It’s time to adapt. To go beyond the basics. To take a more advanced approach to your content. We’re going to teach you to get more traffic in less time.” - Conex17 Talk Description
2. Be more personal. Write messaging that's more likely to connect with ABM (account-based marketing). Use Rapportive's Chrome extension to show prospects' LinkedIn profiles within Gmail.
3. Use “ego-bait” to spend less budget on promotion. Ask prospects to collaborate on content to capitalize on their wisdom and audience.
4. Juice your testimonials. Pull out juicy words and phrases to make them headlines in ads that attract attention. Also, keyword-focused testimonials can maximize both conversion rate and traffic.
5: Identify and optimize unsupported marketing claims on landing pages with testimonials as social proof. Also, never hide testimonials on a testimonials page. Make every page on your site a testimonials page to improve conversion and ROI.
6: Face the facts. Content optimized for social should have people in it. As humans we're attracted to people. Use faces in ads and landing pages.
For more "Top Secret Ninja Tricks" by Andy Crestodina check out 63 Clever PPC Ideas to Test from Unbounce's CTA Conference.
Time to Leave the Lead-gated PDF Behind: How More Engaging Content Can Transform Your Lead Gen and Accelerate Growth
Aaron Dun | Senior VP of Marketing at SnapApp
“Marketers are in a race to the bottom -- we rely too heavily on generic, lead-gated whitepapers for lead generation. It all looks and sounds the same, creating too much noise, overwhelming buyers. How do you break through? By creating engaging content that drives dynamic conversations, rather than a static, one-way flow of information.” - Conex17 Talk Description
7. Don’t lose leads by directing ads to gated content on a landing page. Most early-stage B2B researchers don’t prefer ebooks and whitepapers. Focus instead on keeping users engaged by using ads and landing pages that suggest their next likely action.
8: Identify and leverage key sales criteria. Lead score based on sales people's qualifying questions, not just website engagement behavior. Talk to your salespeople to understand how to attract and nurture more qualified prospects through campaign targeting and messaging based on their conversations.
9: Avoid creating and promoting “me-too” content. Understand needs at each stage of the buyer journey. Serve valuable content that stands out by creating experiences that keep prospects engaged and connected to your brand.
10: Direct paid traffic to interactive content. Encourage engagement and sharing by converting gated, static content (i.e. ebooks, white papers, success stories) to more engaging formats like surveys, assessments, and calculators.
11: Ensure PPC targets the full funnel by directing prospects to useful content needed at each stage of their journey. Make the tools useful enough for users to clearly see the value in submitting their information.
Paycor updated their PPC strategy to include interactive experiences while ungating their content. In the first two months they received over 3700 responses that generated 23% of all their digital marketing revenue:
12: Unleash your static content. Encourage more prospect engagement by testing ungating your content for free with LeadREV by SnapApp.
Cleveland Clinic Built an Award-Winning Content Marketing Powerhouse
Amanda Todorovich | Director, Content Marketing, Cleveland Clinic
“The 2016 Content Marketing Institute’s “Content Marketer of the Year” (across all industries) will share the details of how Cleveland Clinic grew blog traffic from zero visits to more than 4.5 million per month." - Conex17 Talk Description
13. Define a strategy. Stick to it.
14. Make customers your universe. Engage users with what they care about. Don’t just create and promote content about how great you are.
Oli Gardner | Co-founder at Unbounce
“Data-Driven Design (3D) is an actionable evidence-based framework that gives marketing teams (marketers, designers, & copywriters) accelerated access to the data they really need, coupled with a process for understanding how to use that data to make informed changes to the digital marketing experiences you’re creating today." - Conex17 Talk Description
15. Before launching a campaign, consult the Data-Driven Design (3D) Playbook to inform strategy with data for more effective outcomes.
16. Improve communication and collaboration with team members (such as your ad designer, copywriter, and project manager) with 3D Process Worksheets
17. Reference Unbounce’s Conversion Benchmark Report for data-driven insights on landing page conversion rates by industry to see how you compare.
Talk Triggers: How Content Clones Customers
Jay Baer | President, Convince & Convert
“The best customers are those you get for free. In this dynamic and hilarious presentation, best-selling author and digital business celebrity Jay Baer will unveil how to create remarkable content and customer experiences that compel word of mouth." - Conex17 Talk Description
18. Don't try to control the conversation with advertising and content. Listen, engage, and promote engagement to be part of the community.
19. Word of mouth matters. Leverage authentic testimonials in messaging.
20. Be different. Understand and promote your unique differentiators to gain more customers. By definition, when you're truly unique, you have no competition. Do things differently that people will want to talk about and leverage it in your messaging.
We hope you take the time to test these content marketing and PPC tactics. If you need to save time budgeting campaigns across multiple platforms including AdWords, Bing, and Facebook, give Shape a try. Our PPC budgeting solution shapes to your workflows.
Be up and running with Shape in minutes with the free trial.