AJ Wilcox, founder of B2Linked, a digital agency managing more money with LinkedIn Ads than any other on the planet, is stress-testing Shape's latest LinkedIn Ads integration and shared the following insight with me.
When did AJ get started in PPC management?
- AJ starting managing PPC in 2007. He never really liked AdWords but social ads stole his heart. His guilty pleasure is getting lost on Quora answering questions for hours on end. Check out AJ's Quora profile for more wisdom.
What questions does AJ ask new clients starting LinkedIn ads?
- It's crucial to set clients' expectations because LinkedIn Ads average cost per clicks (CPCs) are significantly higher than other platforms (around $6-9/click).
- He asks B2B clients about average deal and customer lifetime values (LTV) to make sure advertising on the network is a good fit. Depending on the client, he suggests a minimum of $15,000 value per deal to gauge if the upfront advertising investment is likely to be effective.
Why might analysts be challenged by LinkedIn Ads?
- As of Sept 2016, Larry Kim still hates some things about LinkedIn Ads, but the network is improving “at a breakneck pace”. The launch of their audience network has expanded reach and new lead gen form ad formats are available.
- AJ suggests retargeting LinkedIn website visitors via another network such as Facebook or AdWords to save budget while re-engaging a qualified audience at a lower CPC.
- Since LinkedIn’s sorting and filtering functionality isn’t as advanced as other networks, yet, he uses a naming convention based off population segments to quickly understand the contents of each campaign. He also reuses campaigns by pausing the old creative. In fact, he still uses the same five campaigns he started with and just runs new content through them.
- LinkedIn Ads do have a relevancy/quality score, they just don't report it. You'll discover if you have a low score if your ads stop showing.
Which Shape features are beneficial for LinkedIn Ads?
- Business insurance doesn't cover agencies if clients' budgets are overspent. AJ is most excited about Shape's alerting and "insurance" features like AutoPilot that prevent overspending his clients' budgets.
Who has provided the best PPC and/or LinkedIn Ads advice?
- The industry expert AJ looks up to is fellow PPC agency owner of Zato Marketing, and Shape advocate, Kirk Williams, along with the PPCChat Community.
Which conferences will AJ be presenting at next?
Who wins in a fight between Santa and the Easter Bunny?
- Immediately after our chat AJ submitted his detailed Quora response to Santa vs Easter Bunny. We like your style, AJ.
If you manage LinkedIn Ads for your clients, Shape can make impossible cross-platform PPC budget management, possible. In AJ's words, we can your "business insurance" that prevents overspend and those difficult client conversations.
Create your Shape account, link data sources, set up cross-platform budgets and start managing more ad spend with less stress, today!